A rapidly growing Oncology Cell Therapy company in the Bay Area is seeking a VP of Business development to help drive their corporate development strategy, grow their portfolio, and initate partnerships across industry and academia.
The VP Business Development, will provide leadership in the evaluation, development, implementation, and management of partnerships, collaborations, and/or acquisitions to expand and increase the value of it's Oncology pipeline. This key strategic role will lead a team of functional experts in science, clinical, program management, global marketing, legal and finance to evaluate opportunities, develop relationships with external parties, and ensure the corporate business development strategy is successful.
This role encompasses corporate strategy, business/ corporate development and new product planning and will play an integral role as the company evaluates, plans and executes strategic business development opportunities including acquisitions, licensing agreements and partnerships.
To be fully successful at developing and implementing our corporate strategy, this position requires a creative and analytical thinker who has previous experience with requires previous disease strategy, diligence, transaction and post-integration / alliance management experience in Oncology. This position offers the opportunity to help drive key decision-making activities within the company.
- Research, evaluate and recommend potential growth strategies through expansion into new therapeutic categories, markets and related businesses
- Lead analyses of pre-commercial and commercial opportunities (including epidemiology modeling and detailed revenue projections) related to corporate/business development initiatives
- Lead external innovation opportunities to expand commercial opportunity of both marketed and clinical programs
- Collaborate with Executive team and lead the development of a global strategic plan and collaborate with Finance team on the corporate long-range plan
- Collaborate with business partners on issue specific long-range strategic implications (for example, manufacturing strategy, pre-clinical target assessments, portfolio planning, etc.)
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders on identifying and incorporating innovative technologies
- Work on CEO and Board-related strategy projects as needed
- Support in all business development activities and due diligence which includes valuation modeling, partner outreach, and managing technical and business due diligence processes
- Provide effective support on due diligence, transaction and post-deal integration initiatives under the umbrella of business development
- Participate in the development of strategic partnerships, joint ventures and alliances, as well as platform technology and intellectual licensing opportunities
- Support the Chief Business Officer for major meetings and presentations to audiences such as the Senior Leadership Team and Board of Directors as related to corporate strategy and business development activities
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND REQUIREMENTS
- BS/BA required (MBA preferred)
- Minimum of 7 years of related experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry
- Healthcare corporate strategy and transactional business development experience required
- 3+ years investment banking, strategic consulting, or related experience strongly preferred
- Track record of successful identification, diligence and closing of opportunities
- 4+ years of cell therapy specific business development experience; 6+ years of oncology business development experience
- Exceptional project management skills with ability to manage multiple projects in a cross-functional environment with good understanding of project management process
- Demonstrated competency in strategic thinking and leadership, with strong abilities in relationship management
- Demonstrated competency in conflict management, influence and negotiation skills
- Self-motivated, energetic individual who is dedicated to serving the needs of the rare and orphan disease community
- Strong customer focus with the ability to adapt to internal client needs and expectations
- Strong ability to influence outcomes without direct authority and ability to hold oneself and others accountable for commitments
- Highly organized and detail oriented with excellent follow-up abilities
- Strong familiarity with preclinical science, drug development and lifecycle management of pharmaceuticals
- Ability to create and deliver effective presentations to working teams and senior management
- Ability to create complex excel-based forecasts, NPV models and returns analyses
- Strong communicator and presenter, with the ability to persuade others and foster open communication across internal and external groups