We are working with an exciting T-Cell company in the Bay Area to find a scientific visionary in the cell therapy and antibody development space to lead research. Our client is seeking a superb scientific thinker and visionary leader to join the company as the Chief Scientific Officer. This person will be responsible for establishing the company’s research and development strategy, driving the progression of the current lead program, and identifying and prioritizing additional indications of interest.
The Chief Scientific Officer will be responsible for building and leading our client's
discovery biology, preclinical, and cell and gene sciences research groups.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Build a top level scientific team.
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction across the organization.
- Cultivate strong and transparent relationships with the Board and the Scientific
Advisory Board that ensure open communication.
- Establish a high-achieving and collaborative culture.
- Serve as the chief scientific spokesperson and increase company awareness and
interest in the scientific and medical communities.
- Oversee research including assay development, animal model development,
protein engineering, academic collaborations, and presentations and publications.
- Lead and inspire the company's research groups; manage deliverables, timelines,
- Collaborate with the company’s academic founders; communicate advances and
share scientific discussions relevant to the company’s progress to ensure success.
- Oversee resource allocation and decision making across the portfolio of research
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 15 years industry experience, with at
least seven years of senior management experience in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology
industry. Ideal candidates will have recent experience advancing biologics through the
regulatory approval process.
Additional qualifications include:
- Experience leading a successful research organization, with a track record of
success moving quality drug candidates into the clinic.
- Strong leadership, people development, and influencing skills.
- Track record of developing and managing collaborations, with basic scientists and
- Successful track record of recruiting and retaining top talent; strong commitment
to developing people.
- Excellent communication skills – ability to clearly and effectively communicate
science to a broad range of audiences including non-specialists.
- Proven track record of innovation and creativity; deep knowledge of new
technologies and cutting-edge approaches.
- High energy, passion for drug discovery and development and entrepreneurial
spirit – ability to lead in fast-paced environment.
A Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. in a Biological Science, Pharmacology or related field is required.